Residential New Home Construction Glossary

House Building Glossary - G

GFCI, or GFI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) - An ultra sensitive plug designed to shut off all electric current; used in bathrooms, kitchens, exterior waterproof outlets, garage outlets, and other wet areas; has a small reset button on the plug.

Gable - The end, upper, triangular area of a home, beneath the roof

Gable End - An end wall having a gable.

Gang Nail Plate - A steel plate attached to both sides at each joint of a truss; a.k.a. fish plate or gusset.

Gate Valve - A valve that lets you completely stop, but not modulate, the flow within a pipe.

General Contractor - A contractor who enters into a contract with the owner of a project for the construction of the project and who takes full responsibility for its completion, although the contractor may enter into subcontracts with others for the performance of specific parts or phases of the project.

Gas Lateral - The trench or area in the yard where the gas line service is located, or the work of installing the gas service to a home.

Girder - A large or principal beam of wood or steel used to support concentrated loads at isolated points along its length.

Girdle - A large principal beam or steel, reinforced concrete, wood, or combination of these, used to support other structural members at isolated points along its length.

Glazing - The process of installing glass, which commonly is secured with glazier's points and glazing compound.

Globe Valve - A valve that lets you adjust the flow of water to any rate between fully on and fully off.

Gloss Enamel - A finishing paint material which forms a hard coating with maximum smoothness of surface and dries to a sheen or luster (gloss).

Glued Laminated Beam (glulam) - A structural beam composed of wood laminations or lams; pressure bonded with adhesives to attain its thickness; looks like several 2 X 4's are glued together.

Grade - (1) Ground level, or the elevation at any given point; (2) the work of leveling dirt; (3) the designated quality of a manufactured piece of wood. Grade Beam - A foundation wall that is poured @ level with or just below the grade of the earth (e.g., the area where the 8' or 16'overhead garage door "block out" is located, or a lower (walk out basement) foundation wall is poured).

Graduated Payment Mortgage (GPM) - A fixed-rate, fixed-schedule loan. It starts with lower payments than a level payment loan; payments rise annually, with the entire increase being used to reduce the outstanding balance; the increase in payments may enable the borrower to pay off a 30-year loan in 15 to 20 years, or less.

Grain - The direction, size, arrangement, appearance, or quality of the fibers in wood.

Grain, Edge (vertical) - Edge-grain lumber has been sawed parallel to the pith of the log and approximately at right angles to the growth rings; i.e., the rings form an angle of 45°or more with the surface of the piece.

Grain, Flat - Flat-grain lumber has been sawed parallel to the pitch of the log and approximately tangent to the growth rings, i.e., the rings form an angle of less than 45°with the surface of the piece.

Grain - Quarter sawn - Another term for edge grain.

Granules - Crushed rock coated with ceramic material, applied to the exposed surface of asphalt roofing products to add color and reduce ultraviolet degradation; copper compounds are often added to these help make them algae resistant.

Grid - (1) The completed assembly of main and cross tees in a suspended ceiling system before the ceiling panels are installed; (2) the decorative slats (mutton) installed between glass panels.

Ground - Refers to electricity's habit of seeking the shortest route to earth. Neutral wires carry it there in all circuits; an additional grounding wire or the sheathing of the metal-clad cable or conduit protects against shock if the neutral leg is interrupted.

Ground Fault - Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI, GFI)-an ultra sensitive plug designed to shut off all electric current. Used in bathrooms, kitchens, exterior waterproof outlets, garage outlets, and other wet areas; has a small reset button on the plug.

Ground Iron - The plumbing drain and waste lines that are installed beneath the basement floor; cast iron was once used, but black plastic pipe (ABS) is now widely used.

Groundwater - Water from an aquifer or subsurface water source.

Grout - A wet mixture of cement, sand and water that flows into masonry or ceramic crevices to seal the cracks between the different pieces; mortar made of such consistency (by adding water) that it will flow into the joints and cavities of the masonry work and fill them solid.

Gusset - A flat wood, plywood, or similar type member used to provide a connection at the intersection of wood members. Most commonly used at joints of wood trusses; fastened by nails, screws, bolts, or adhesives.

Gutter - A shallow channel or conduit of metal or wood set below and along the (fascia) eaves of a house to catch and carry off rainwater from the roof.

Gyp Board. Drywall - Wall board or gypsum-A panel (normally 4'X 8', 10’, 12' or 16') made with a core of Gypsum (chalklike) rock, which covers interior walls and ceilings.

Gypsum Plaster - Gypsum formulated to be used with the addition of sand and water for base-coat plaster.


Y! MyWeb